Monday, June 16, 2008

Throwback of the Week - Brooksie


It may not be of the week. It may be of the two weeks. 

Today's entry is a 1971 Baltimore Orioles orange alternate #5 (Brooks Robinson) by Mitchell and Ness. I actually got this shirt from the Orioles store and not from the Philly location.

This jersey was part of the ill-fated "all orange" alternate that the O's tried in the early 70s. They went over like a fart in church. Even in the brightly colored polyester heyday, there was only so much orange people could take. They weren't the only ones who tried the monochrome look - and failed.

This jersey became a staple of my on-stage attire while fronting a band called "Soul Expression." We were the house band at the Meritage martini bar in West Chester, Pa. (which has since closed, but that wasn't because of us).  All I needed was one of these jerseys, a bucket hat and some shades to overcome my enormous stage fright.

Soul Expression was the precursor to my current project, KevinGrevey. Keep an eye out. We're going to do big things.

Anyway, this jersey is now in my brother's collection. I have since upgraded to a '76 Jim Palmer #22, with the sweet NOB nameplate. 

No comments: